Commercial auto insurance usually provides ample safety for vehicle owners. It can reduce costs after an accident. It can minimize losses after a negligence claim.
Knowing what your employee drivers are doing is important. The use of telematics or even basic tracking can help keep your insurance costs down. Business owners may wish to embrace this more thorough method of monitoring employees.
Is It Legal to Track Employees?
The first step is to know if you can legally track employees. Check with your state's labor office. You can also gather information from your employment attorney. Next, check with any union affiliated with your company. For example, some trucking unions limit this type of monitoring. In most cases, tracking employees is allowable, with some exceptions.
Why Use Tracking?
Tracking employee drivers can often help businesses minimize their risks. Minimizing risks means holding drivers accountable. A tracking device may help businesses do so. You might be able to use it to:
- Track where your vehicle is. If stolen or damaged, you have the ability to know its location.
- Monitor where your drivers are. Are they performing work-related tasks only during working hours?
- How many miles do your drivers drive? Is this too much? If so, they could be at risk.
- What speed is your driver going on average? Those who drive over the speed limit routinely put your business at risk.
- What is the condition of the vehicle? Some apps track engine performance. Others report concerns with brakes. This can help the business keep.
The more information available to you the better. Tracking vehicles can help you prevent worrisome situations while your drivers operate. As a result, you can worry less about filing a commercial auto insurance claim.
Contact your agent to inquire about this tracking benefit. You may find tracking a simple way to get more information. Ask your agent about recommended methods to track. Some insurers offer them, while others have access to free apps. Commercial auto insurance agents may even offer a discount to those who have this type of technology.
Commercial auto insurance providers can answer all of your questions. They will give you guidance on steps to reducing risk. They can also keep your business insurance costs down.
Need Indianapolis commercial auto insurance? Call Williams & Associates INC at (317) 549-8994 today. We can help you get a fast, free quote on a comprehensive policy.